Jazz genius’ new CD a sensual experience

Saxophone-playing jazz force Kenny Garrett’s musical presence is so strong it’s hard to picture him being a sideman to anyone.

Perhaps having the opportunity to be jazz legend Miles Davis’ sideman is what gave him the power and confidence to deliver some of the jazz world’s freshest sounds.

Garrett’s new album, Standard of Love, is just that — pure listening delight. There’s nothing better than cooking a good dinner, buying some Spanish wine and playing your favorite jazz CD to heighten your taste buds’ sensation. This record is so captivating that it could make a package of ramen noodles taste like caviar.

Anything that can add to my favorite pastime of eating scores points in my book, but even beyond the dinner table, Garrett’s sound works for me. After a stressful day of classes and homework, going home and popping in Standard of Love is like a cleansing ritual. Garrett’s sounds are so refreshing and vibrant you can’t help but forget about everything else.

I always know an album is unusually good when I catch my 2-year-old son getting down to it and boy does my son love dancing to Garrett. The album’s soulful sounds could bring out anyone’s inner spirit.

Garrett begins this album with “What is This Thing Called Love,” an intense masterpiece that keeps you on the edge of your seat. And it’s not the edge-of-your-seat kind of jazz produced by avant-garde musicians whose crazy, way-too-unpredictable style can be too uncomfortable for words.

Garrett’s style is more smooth and eloquent, but not what you would find on a smooth jazz radio station.

“Native Tongue” is my favorite track on the album. These kinds of romantic sensual sounds make me understand how people can have a love affair with jazz music. The powerful piano and soft drums mixed with Garrett’s luxuriously played sax is baby-making music.

Garrett creates jazz in its truest sense and with a mentor like Davis, who wouldn’t?

Not only has Garrett had the opportunity to play with Miles, but also he has collaborated with other influential artists such as Jazzmatazz, hip-hop legend GURU, Art Blakey, Sting and Peter Gabriel.

Garrett’s standard for musicians he works with is no different on this album. Charnett Moffett on bass, Chris Dave on drums and Vernell Brown on piano are outstanding. Their different instruments mesh together to make a delicious record, with or without the Spanish wine.