ASUNM Profiles: Justin Landis

ASUNM senatorial candidate Justin Landis, who is running under the Cherries to Silver campaign, said that, if elected, he would like to see all of the organizations on campus get the recognition they deserve.

"I would like to personalize UNM and help the various organizations in getting more appreciation," Landis said. "This includes athletes, who deserve to be recognized for working double-time as students as well."

He said that he hopes to accomplish this through open forums on campus and possibly ASUNM meetings with the community where UNM students and faculty could voice any concerns or ideas for bettering the community.

Landis, a junior majoring in educational endorsing in language arts, said that for ASUNM to be an effective governing body at UNM it needs to get a bigger percentage of the student body involved in the decision making process.

"This will allow ASUNM to help more students realize their visions for UNM and will make the community aware of all the good things that the organization has to offer," Landis said.

He said that a decent GPA and extensive leadership experiences are some of the qualities that would make him a successful senator at UNM and that persistent tuition increases and student parking are issues that he would confront if elected.

Landis, who is the president of the Lambda Chi Alpha Fraternity and a member of the UNM College Democrats, said that, if elected, he will make himself available for students to voice any concerns they may have about the direction that UNM is headed.

Landis correctly named Andrea Cook as a UNM regent and student organizations AFRICA, the Institute for Electrical Engineers and UNM's College Democrats. He could not name two more regents, UNM's president or its provost.