UNM, Rape Crisis Center offers victim assistance

Not only does the Albuquerque community have several law enforcement agencies and hospitals to treat rape victims and investigate allegations of sexual assault, it also has many organizations that provide valuable counseling and support services.

On campus, Students Educating Peers About Sex, also known as SEPAS, provides victims with referrals and guidance, organizes campaigns for awareness of sexual health issues and gives prevention presentations.

Jeremy Jaramillo of SEPAS said his organization provides consultation for victims, but is not a full-time counseling service. He added that he always refers all sexual assault victims to the Albuquerque Rape Crisis Center.

The crisis center, currently celebrating its 30th anniversary, provides counseling services to victims and their friends, family and partners 24 hours a day.

“If someone has a question at 1 a.m. or wants to talk to someone, they can just call our 266-7711 number,” said Elena Giacci, prevention of violence against women coordinator.

Giacci said the center has a staff of certified therapists, including one who speaks Spanish, and a continuing education department performing outreach programs with the surrounding community.

She added that the crisis center also works with a nonprofit organization called Sexual Assault Nurse Examiners, also known as SANE, that assists victims and law enforcement agencies by securing forensic evidence as required by prosecutors and advising victims of their rights and options.

“I can’t say enough about the program,” Giacci said. “It’s an excellent program with excellent leadership.”

The organization provides registered nurses who have been specially trained to collect forensic evidence from victims to corroborate or refute their allegations.

Connie Monahand, director of the organization, said the organization helps provide legal as well as medical help, and that it never charges victims for any services rendered.

“The value of the SANE unit is that we combine the two, legal and medical,” Monahand said.