University goes an extra mile

UNM students in military assured education when returning from war duties

With members of the UNM community preparing themselves for the possibility of being called to active military duty here and abroad, the University has plans in place to accommodate their educations during any service-related absence.

Currently, about 120 UNM students and staff serve in some branch of military reserves or the National Guard, according to New Mexico Army and Air National Guard figures.

During the academic year of 2002, about 50 UNM students were called up for military duty, said Randy Boeglin, UNM's dean of students. He said that number included a mix of members of the National Guard, reservists and active duty military personnel.

Boeglin added that so far this year, 20 students have had to withdraw from the University to fill some capacity of military service, and that UNM is doing its best to facilitate and support those students.

"When students get called to duty, they are allowed to drop their courses without penalty and get refunded accordingly," Boeglin said.

He added that since Sept. 11, 2001, there has been a surge in college students being called to active military duty.

Under University regulations, students withdrawing from the University before the end of the 12th week of a semester due to military obligations are entitled to a Withdrawal Pass in each of their courses.

Students withdrawing due to military obligations after the 12th week of any semester will receive full credit for each course provided the instructor certifies a grade of C or better at the time of withdrawal.

Boeglin said students returning from active duty are not given priority over other students when signing up for classes, adding that this is the policy for any student who leaves the University for a period of time.

"We'll treat them just like any other student," he said. "We do our best to facilitate their re-entry to the University and make it as easy as possible."

The policy also states that final semester seniors who have satisfactorily completed at least half of the work in their courses, provided it would complete their degree requirements, may be certified for graduation by the faculty of the respective colleges.

Sgt. First Class Emilia Shumpert, an Albuquerque recruiter for the Army National Guard, said that UNM's military leave policy lessens the strain on students who are balancing two careers.

"College students play a vital role in the National Guard and UNM is helping those people during this uncertain time," Shumpert said. "Knowing that their educations will be waiting for them when they return allows them to focus on the task at hand and not worry about being caught in unforeseen binds."

UNM also has policies in place in the eventuality that faculty or staff members are called to military assignment during the academic year.