Students can tip hats to teachers

Staff Report

Staff, faculty, students and alumni have a chance to reward their favorite teachers for enhancing their college education and the overall community at UNM.

The deadline for applications for the 2002-03 Outstanding Teacher of the Year Award, the Adjunct Faculty and Lecturer Teaching Award and the 2002-2003 Outstanding Teaching Assistant Award is March 5.

According to the Center for the Advancement of Scholarship in Teaching and the Teaching Enhancement Committee’s Web sites, the Outstanding Teacher of the Year Award is designed “to reward teaching excellence and to foster a campus climate that supports teaching improvement and accomplishment.”

According to the two UNM organizations that are sponsoring all three of the awards, both tenured and tenure-track professors are eligible for the Outstanding Teacher of the Year Award.

The Adjunct Faculty and Lecturer Teaching Awards are designated for lecturers or adjunct faculty who have taught for four consecutive years at UNM. These awards are designed to recognize contributions by non-tenure faculty.

All current teaching assistants and associates are eligible for the Outstanding Teaching Assistant Award, intended to recognize and reward teaching achievements of graduate students at UNM. These nominations can only be made by the department in which the graduate student teaches, and is made on the basis of one nomination for every 10 department teaching assistants. Graduate students are asked to notify their department chairs or administrators if they want to be considered for nomination.

Anyone interested in more information about any of this year’s awards or for an official application should visit the Center for the Advancement of Scholarship in Teaching’s Web site at http://www.unm.edu/~castl.

Nominees will be sent a letter telling them of their nomination and requesting application materials.