Student focus groups organized by library

by J. Martin Eidsath

Daily Lobo

The UNM General Library is seeking student input on library services as part of its strategic planning process.

To gather input, separate focus groups are being held for undergraduate and graduate students. Undergraduates are invited to attend a focus group on March 24. Groups for graduate students are meeting March 12 and 31.

Each focus group will give students an opportunity to provide input on how the library can better meet their needs.

Susan Deese-Roberts, an associate professor in the General Library, is directing the focus groups. She said the main topics to be reviewed are library instruction, services, technology and facilities. Participants will also be able to bring up their own issues concerning library service.

Deese-Roberts said the General Library's strategic planning process is part of UNM's overall strategic planning process. The General Library is using these focus groups and the Libqual+ online survey as a tool to improve library services.

Libqual+ is a Web survey project intended to measure overall library service quality. According to the Libqual+ Web site, the project is run by the Association of Research Libraries and Texas A&M.

Deese-Roberts said that ideas from the focus groups and further surveys will be incorporated into the strategic planning process. She said that the library wants to see many students participate in the focus groups to accurately confirm student needs. These focus groups are important, she said, because they provide a chance for constituencies external to the library to have a say in its future.

Students will need to RSVP one week prior to the session they plan to attend. To RSVP, contact Laquie Campbell at laquie@unm.edu.