Sports in Brief

Skiing

UNM's ski team finished the 2003 NCAA Skiing Championships with a final score of 541.5 -- fourth-place overall.

The University of Vermont and Colorado University slid past the Lobos on the last day of competition with CU taking third at 546.5 points, just five points ahead of UNM. UVM finished second with 551 points.

The University of Utah raced to the championship, winning by more than 100 points, with a total of 682 in the meet.

UNM's fourth place finish was due in part to freshman Alexander Freberg losing his back binding on his right ski three-quarters of the way through his first run, forcing him to take a DNF and earn no points. The Lobos placed 10th in the men's Slalom and fourth in the women's slalom.

Women's Tennis

The 57th-ranked Lobo women's tennis team beat 53rd-ranked Tulsa at the Lobo Tennis Club yesterday afternoon, advancing its home court record to 5-0 with the 4-3 win.

UNM won at the No. 2 and 3 doubles spots, notching the doubles point. The squad also took three singles positions.

The victory improves the Lobos' record to 8-3 and drops Tulsa, the No. 1 team in the central region in the fall season, to 5-7.

The No. 2 seeded doubles team, Tiffany Robertson and Michelle Heidbrink, got a crucial 8-5 win over Mariana Barrios and Donata Majauskaite, bettering its spring doubles record to a nearly perfect 6-1 mark.

Softball

UNM's softball team dropped its first two games at the Red Raider Classic.

No. 2 Arizona crushed UNM 9-0 in the first game. In game two, host Texas Tech won with an 8-0 score.

Against Arizona, the two teams failed to get on the board until the fourth inning when the Wildcats drove home one run.

They scored six runs in the fifth inning and added two in the sixth.

In the second game against Texas Tech, the Red Raiders scored three runs in the second inning, but didn't score again until the sixth when they brought five runs in. TTU went on to win 8-0.

Rugby

After a volatile and close game, Air Force snuck in to steal a 16-15 victory over the UNM men's rugby team in the last five seconds of the match at University Stadium.

In the first half, Air Force scored early taking a 3-0 lead with a penalty kick near the UNM goal line.

Not easily shaken, the Lobos struck back using eight-man Jeremy Armstrong, who snagged the ball at the base of a scrum and stormed through the Falcon's defense.

It was a back-and-forth game until UNM's break came in the second half when the Falcons were down a man and UNM used the advantage to score on a Stewart penalty kick.