Ski resorts to offer discount packages

by Erin Raterman

Daily Lobo

If UNM students are not quite ready to go swimsuit shopping or start working on their tan, they can take comfort in knowing that there are a couple good weeks left in the ski season and many ski resorts are offering discount prices on lodging and tickets.

Despite the recent unpredictable weather, several storms are promising this year's ski season will end on a high note.

Many New Mexico and southern Colorado ski resorts, such as Angel Fire and Wolf Creek, are offering discount ticket prices and student packages.

Angle Fire, located 150 miles north of Albuquerque, is offering $25 lift tickets available online from March 23-30. Tickets at the resort are normally $45.

Angel Fire is also offering a discount lodging special, with hotel rooms priced at less than $60 per person, including a lift ticket for each guest.

Durango Mountain Resort is also offering ticket deals.

Hotel rooms at the resort are $85 per night and include lift tickets. Adult lift tickets are currently $52 at Durango Mountain Resort. Both Angel Fire and Durango plan to remain open until April 6.

Wolf Creek Ski Resort, which claims to have the most snow in Colorado, is also remaining open until April 6, giving students plenty of time to plan one more weekend ski trip.

Lift tickets at Wolf Creek are normally about $40. However, on April 5, the resort is offering college students reduced $22 passes.

Wolf Creek officials said the resort is a student friendly ski area, offering several "college days" with discount ticket prices throughout the season.

Ski Apache, in southern New Mexico, is planning to remain open until March 30 and adult lift tickets are $45.

Ski Santa Fe is offering adult all-day lift tickets for $44, however for students under the age of 20, tickets are $36.

Ski Santa Fe has set a tentative closing date of April 6.

With advanced notice, many local resorts also offer group lift tickets deals. This means that hitting the slopes with a group of friends can be much cheaper than purchasing individual lift tickets.

Angel Fire, Wolf Creek, Ski Apache, Durango Ski Resort and Ski Santa Fe all offer group lift ticket prices as long as they receive information about the size and age of the group at least two weeks in advance.

Planning a ski trip with large groups also offers the added advantage of group equipment rental specials that make renting skis and snowboards more affordable.

Group rates apply the entire ski season and are good for students to keep in mind when it comes time to gear up for next season.

All of the local ski resorts also offer cheaper lift ticket prices for students planning to ski for numerous, consecutive days.

Wolf Creek, Angel Fire, Durango Mountain Resort, Ski Santa Fe and Ski Apache all report good skiing conditions with 100 percent of all of the runs open.