Lobos get taste of revenge

Women's basketball team comes back with vengeance

The Lobos rallied to a stunning second-half victory over 25th ranked Utah, 51-48 Thursday night at The Pit.

UNM lost to the Utes in overtime last month and have been anticipating revenge ever since. However, instead of coming out confident on its home floor, UNM seemed somewhat intimidated throughout the first half.

In fact, both teams took the floor looking over-emotional and sloppy.

After a number of turnovers on both sides, Utah's Kim Smith scored first, three minutes into the game.

Sophomore Mandi Moore scored the Lobos' first two points of the night from the free-throw line. Chelsea Grear added a couple of baskets for the Lobos, but they were not able to keep up with Utah who built a 10-point lead late in the first period.

For UNM, the turning point of the night may have been senior Tiffany Scaglione's 3-point shot at the buzzer, to put the Lobos within seven at the break, 24-17.

However, the Lobos snapped out of their effortless slump at the beginning of the second period. Utah guard Shona Thorburn came out with one of her infamous shots from behind the arc and UNM senior Jordan Adams answered with a 3-pointer of her own. Minutes later, Adams would start a 9-0 Lobo run that included baskets from junior Lauren McLeod, sophomore Melissa Forest and Grear.

The Utes got stuck in a four-minute scoring drought and were called on a couple shot-clock violations as the Lobos made it nearly impossible for them to score.

Freshman Abby Letz pulled UNM into the lead, 38-37 with 8:25 remaining, scoring off of a sharp-cut under the basket.

Although Utah never gave up, the Lobos never fell behind again. The two teams found themselves in a similar game situation as last month.

Utah's Thornburn burned the Lobos with another deadly shot from 3-point range to bring the Ute's within three with 30 seconds remaining.

With nine seconds left, the Lobos inbounded the ball, up by three, but turned it over to the Utes. Utah was able to set up a wide-open 3-point attempt, but uncharacteristically missed.

"Fortunately, they missed the shot," head coach Don Flanagan said. "I never saw Mandi jump so high in my life for that last rebound. I'm not sure she didn't just go up with the pack."

Tiffany Scaglione had an outstanding night off the bench and earned player of the game honors, with 13 points, two rebounds and two assists. Fellow seniors Adams and Grear each added nine points. Every player on the Lobo roster saw action and got on the scoreboard.

The Lobos play their last home game of the season against BYU at The Pit at 2 p.m., Saturday.