Lobo baseball team sends visitors packing

Staff Report

The UNM baseball team pulled out some late-inning heroics against the University of Texas-Arlington for a 17-12 victory Saturday afternoon at Lobo Field.

The game began with the Mustangs getting off to an early one run lead courtesy of Ryan Roberts solo home run. But the Lobos returned fire, scoring seven runs in the first four innings including a two-run home run by Chris Alexander. Alexander leads the Mountain West Conference with nine home runs, including Saturday's jack.

Going into the sixth inning the Lobos had a commanding lead, and it would grow. Outfielder Joe Salas hit a deep ball over the right field fence to drive in two runs and Sean Murray's three-run shot to center helped UNM extend its lead to a whopping 12-3 after six innings.

The Mustangs were not to be counted out, however, and the seventh inning proved to be their rallying point. UTA drove in six runs behind Kasey Baker's two-run dinger and scored three more in the top of the eight to tie the game 12-12.

The Lobos would put a rally of their own together in the bottom of eighth, manufacturing five runs. That would be all they needed to pull through, defeating the University of Texas-Arlington Mustangs 17-12.

Sean Murray extended his career-high hitting streak to 13 games after Saturday's victory and UNM infielder Dusty Young extended his hitting streak to 16 after going two for six from the plate.

UNM also beat Northwestern University 6-5, overcoming a 3-0 deficit in the first inning.

The Lobos then sealed an all-out victory after defeating New Mexico State 10-9.

UNM, 10, New Mexico State, 9

NMSU second baseman Brad Ditter committed a throwing error on Sean Murray's grounder with the bases loaded, allowing the Lobos to seal a comeback victory, 10-9.

UNM came back from an early 7-3 deficit in the contest, Sunday.