Law lecturer appointed to education commission

A UNM School of Law School lecturer has recently been given an opportunity to help improve postsecondary and higher education throughout New Mexico by being named to the New Mexico Commission on Higher Education.

Raquel Montoya-Lewis, in her third year at UNM, said that she plans to use her position as a voice for American Indians throughout the state.

"The first thing I plan to do is get more educated myself about higher education in New Mexico," Montoya-Lewis said. "Then, I want to look at how schools are working with students. We need to talk to the students."

The commission, which consists of 15 members appointed by the governor, was developed "to promote and coordinate high quality postsecondary education partnerships that are responsive to changing needs and serve all New Mexicans," according to its Web site.

Montoya-Lewis, who will be the Albuquerque district and UNM representative on the commission, is a registered member of the Isleta Pueblo and views this as an opportunity to better New Mexico's education and American Indian students.

"As someone with background in Native American education and Native American law, my plan is to be a voice for the Native communities in the state," Montoya-Lewis said.

Montoya-Lewis has legal work experience in the American Indian community, particularly in the Albuquerque area, where she was an associate judge for the Pueblo of Isleta Tribal Court for nearly five years.

She has also practiced law and worked as a law clerk for New Mexico Supreme Court Justice Pamela Minzner from 1996-98.

Montoya-Lewis said once she is fully involved in decision-making within the commission, one of her goals includes reforming higher education organizations to be more responsive and accessible to students.

She said she also feels that New Mexico higher education institutions need to focus on their relationship with American Indian students.

On campus, Montoya-Lewis has received praise from colleagues such as School of Law Dean Suellyn Scarnecchia.

"Professor Montoya-Lewis will bring an intelligent and sensitive perspective to the commission," Scarnecchia said. "She will be a strong voice for the needs of both students and faculty in New Mexico. The law school is proud of her many accomplishments, including this appointment."

Montoya-Lewis, who earned her bachelor's degree from UNM in 1992 and her law degree from the University of Washington in 1995, was amazed to be appointed to the commission and welcomed the accomplishment as a beneficial opportunity.

"I was very surprised and honored to do it," she said. "It's a real chance and a rare opportunity."