Israeli-Palestinian conflict debated

UNM Law School panel brings views from each side for discussion

by Vincent J. Narducci

Daily Lobo

An intense debate about the Israeli-Palestinian conflict at UNM may have been able to accomplish a little bit of what decades of war and death have not -- creating some type of mutual understanding.

The Tuesday night panel discussion at the University's School of Law included a presentation to establish the history behind the conflict, two speakers passionately arguing for each nation and a moderator who said that despite a heated argument, he thought panelists eventually achieved a better understanding for each other and for the issues addressed.

"Each of these people got to see the humanity in each other, and in that regard, I think something positive came out of it," said Tim Canova, panel moderator and UNM associate law professor. "People got to vent, to share their perspectives and to see the pain that the other side endured as well."

Patricia Risso, a UNM history professor, established the background behind the relationship between the two conflicting countries. Her presentation mostly focused on the period between the end of World War I and the formation of Israel in1948.

Once a historical perspective was established, four panelists discussed the conflict and some issues surrounding it that have existed since Israel was created.

Sandra Akkad, an American-born Palestinian who has lived in Palestine and traveled there several times, called into question the current division of power in the region, saying Israel is a "dominant force" that has taken advantage of a subjugated people.

"Israel will only know peace and security when it recognizes the civil rights of the Palestinians," Akkad said, adding that Israel continues to form illegal settlements in Palestine.

Micah Gisser, a retired UNM professor of economics, next addressed the audience of about 50 saying that it was the Palestinians' past refusal of adequate peace offers that has led to the current crisis. Gisser also ignited a strong response from Palestinian presenters and supporters by calling suicide bombers the "the epitome of evil."

Katherine Hughes-Freitekh, a member of the Arab Jewish Peace Alliance, spoke against Israeli occupation in Palestine and criticized U.S. military aid to Israel.

"America is the number one cause of Palestinian oppression," Hughes-Freitekh said.

Alain Jackson, a dual citizen of the United States and Israel, accused "Arabs" of starting every war against Israel, and admitted that his hope for a peaceful resolution is dead.

"In the last two years, I've given up on ever achieving peace," he said.

Audience members then engaged in a back-and-forth argument discussing refugees, land claims, suicide bombers and water control.

Numerous verbal altercations took place, and Canova eventually compared the forum to a schoolyard playground.

The central issue of the debate became the creation of an independent Palestinian state, which all of the panelists supported in one form or another.

"The Israelis and the Palestinians have a symbiotic relationship, and we have to learn to live side by side," said Jackson said.