Fraternity presidents reconcile differences

Staff Report

Two UNM fraternity presidents have reportedly reconciled the differences that existed between the groups after a March 1 incident that left the property of one house littered with beer cans and broken glass.

Campus police were called to the Sigma Alpha Epsilon fraternity house twice after receiving phone calls regarding loud music and beer bottles being thrown in the direction of the Phi Gamma Delta house.

The report states that police initially contacted Joseph Garcia, president of the Sigma Alpha Epsilon fraternity, who told police that there was nothing to be concerned about and that his house members would turn down the music.

The report states that upon being called back to the house five minutes later, the responding officer still heard loud music and noticed broken glass on the basketball court of the Phi Gamma Delta house.

The report also states that the student activities adviser was called to the Sigma Alpha Epsilon house twice regarding the incident.

A member of Phi Gamma Delta said he called police because he was trying to sleep and wanted the noise to stop.

Garcia reportedly apologized and picked up the glass and litter around the basketball court and surrounding property.

Randy Boeglin, dean of students at UNM, received a copy of the forwarded police report and said that it was his understanding that the presidents of the two fraternities met and smoothed the matter out.

He said no disciplinary action will be taken against Sigma Alpha Epsilon, but added that if an individual who threw the bottles is identified, that person could be up for review under the UNM Student Code of Conduct.