COLUMN: Delusions an itchy problem

by Richard "Bugman" Fagerlund

Daily Lobo Columnist

Of all the bug calls I get, the ones that are the most frustrating are from people who suffer from delusory parasitosis.

Delusory parasitosis is a condition where someone feels insects, mites or worms crawling on them. Usually by the time they get to me they have already been to several doctors who tell them they have a rash caused by an unknown agent. Occasionally medical personnel will actually tell these people that they have mites, although there is no evidence of any living organisms.

People who suffer from delusory parasitosis often use extreme methods to rid themselves of the "bugs". One lady treated her skin with alcohol, vinegar, disinfectant, bleach, kerosene and other caustic products. She boiled her bed linens and clothing daily. She knows the life cycle of the pest and can extract them from her body. She offers to send me samples and she says the irritation is driving her crazy and I am her last hope.

Invariably when I get the samples it is just a collection of scabs, dead skin, hairs and body lint. There are never any "bugs." Another fellow actually filled his bathtub half full with a pesticide and soaked in it for an hour. He is lucky to be alive.

Sometimes they call a pest control company. That is fine if the company is ethical. A conscientious pest control company will do an inspection and then refuse to treat if no target pest is found. Less ethical pest control companies will spray the house with pesticides, which only exacerbates the problem as the chemicals may have a negative effect on the person.

Bites can be the result of static electricity interacting with small particles. This is particularly true of materials with sharp projections such as paper, metal and fiberglass fragments. Fibers from new carpets may be attracted to lower portions of the body because of static electricity, and these can be mistaken for bites. Electronic equipment generates an electrostatic charge, so office equipment and computer components can produce sufficient attraction to various materials to be irritating to susceptible individuals.

Delusory parasitosis can also be the result of physiological causes such as allergies, nutritional deficiencies, drug reactions, and other medical conditions. Materials such as latex, soap, detergents, fabric softeners, shampoo, lotions, insect repellents, deodorants and almost any other substance that contacts the skin can cause skin allergies. These allergies are often thought to be "insect" caused, resulting in delusory parasitosis.

Drugs which are prescribed for the elderly such as those for heart conditions, glaucoma, osteoporosis, impotence and arthritis are particularly predisposed to cause side effects that could result in delusory parasitosis-like symptoms. Drugs are not limited to prescribed forms. Recreational drugs like marijuana, cocSaine and methamphetamines can cause symptoms that will make people believe they are "infested" with bugs.

Delusory parasitosis can be triggered by psychological problems as well. Symptoms of anxiety, stress, tension, depression and fatigue can manifest themselves as itching or tingling. Although it is generally recognized that stress can induce headaches, high blood pressure, heart attacks and ulcers, delusory parasitosis sufferers are reluctant to acknowledge that their dermatological symptoms could be related to stress or depression.

Some cases involve lonely people who need interactions with other humans. The power of suggestion is also a factor in delusory parasitosis. People who are around folks with delusory parasitosis will often find themselves scratching as will the entomologist who examines the samples even though no bugs were found.

Are there any situations where "bugs" are responsible? Yes, typical culprits include thrips brought in on flowers, bird or rodent mites from nests in or on the building, or pests such as bed bugs or fleas.

A competent pest control professional or entomologist upon inspection of the patient's home can find these arthropods. If insects and mites are not found, then delusory parasitosis has to be considered a real possibility. I have a standard statement I issue when I am dealing with delusory parasitosis patients. "Although examination of the specimens you provided yielded no evidence of insects or mites, the symptoms you are experiencing are real and deserve further investigation." The idea is to get the delusory parasitosis sufferer to see a physician and receive the appropriate health care.

I generally recommend they see a dermatologist, who will, hopefully, steer them in the right direction, possibly to a psychologist.

If you have any bug problems, real or imagined, you can contact me at fagerlun@unm.edu or call me at 440-6384.