SDSU extends Lobos’ streak to 16

Staff Report

The UNM men’s basketball team got “burned” by San Diego State University Monday night. SDSU freshman forward Evan Burns had a career night, helping his team defeat the Lobos 89-73.

“Evan Burns was the difference tonight,” head coach Ritchie McKay said on 770 AM.

Burns scored a career-high 31 points to go along with 13 rebounds. Coming off the bench, Burns was critical in building an early lead for the Aztecs. He scored 18 points in the first half including four 3-pointers. Burns did not slow down in the second half but instead moved his game inside while collecting 13 more points. Coming into the game, Burns was averaging only seven points per game.

Senior guard Ruben Douglas was all the offense for UNM scoring 43 points on 12-26 shooting from the field and 4-9 from downtown. He made 15-16 from the free-throw line. Douglas also pulled down 12 rebounds for his second straight double-double.

The Lobos trailed most of the game and fell behind by 10 points, 32-22 in the opening period. They managed to cut that lead to 36-30 at the half but would come no closer in the second frame.

UNM went cold in the second half and the Aztecs quickly took advantage, building a 56-40 lead. The closest the Lobos would get after that was 75-66 after a three from junior point guard Javin Tindall. Tindall was the second leading scorer for UNM dropping in 10 points.

SDSU senior guard Tony Bland heated up in the half after scoring only two points in the first. He popped in 19 of his 21 points in the second half.

“He’s an aggressive scorer,” McKay said.

Senior power forward Mike Mackell added 12 points for the Aztecs.

The Lobos extended their road losing streak to 16 with the loss. SDSU out-rebounded UNM 38-25 and made 50 percent of its 3-pointers (9-18).

UNM (9-15, 3-8 MWC) returns home Saturday to face the University of Utah. The Lobos will be looking to improve their record before going into the MWC Championships March 13-15.