Lobo tank needs more gas

While Ruben Douglas's motor thunders through the Mountain West Conference to the hum of 33.5 points per game, his team's engine is sputtering.

After a demoralizing loss to San Diego State on Monday, the Lobos' path only gets nastier as they attempt to get themselves out of their recent rut.

UNM welcomes the 22nd-ranked University of Utah to The Pit Saturday afternoon. The game marks the Lobos' first battle against a ranked opponent since losing to No. 18 Gonzaga, in January 2002. UNM's last victory versus a ranked opponent came against Utah in February 2000.

With only three games remaining on the regular season schedule and the MWC Tournament just around the corner, it is now or never for the Lobos to regain the confidence lost over the past two road games.

Utah (20-4, 9-1 MWC) enters the game as the hottest team in the conference, posting nine straight league victories, including a giant win Monday night over rival Brigham Young University. Its only conference loss came in its MWC opener against SDSU. With the victory over BYU, the Utes have a two-game advantage in the conference and consequently have opened eyes and ears of basketball minds across the country.

Four talented players head the Utah arsenal. Senior forward Britton Johnson leads the team in points and rebounds, averaging 12.2 PPG and 6.8 RPG. His partners in crime come in the form of sophomore Marc Jackson, averaging 15.6 PPG in MWC play, and juniors Nick Jacobson and Tim Frost. All four are capable of lighting up their opponents, with three of them shooting over 40 percent from beyond the 3-point line.

But what is really winning games for Utah is its hard-nosed defense. The Utes rank fourth in the nation in scoring defense, allowing only 59.5 PPG. They have yet to give up more than 80 points in a game all season.

The scouting report: Utah is tall and strong, inside and out and will give the undersized Lobos fits. Utah proved that in the first meeting at the Huntsman Center when it defeated the Lobos 78-68.

The second meeting could be different for the Utes. They must be ready to play a gutsy Lobo squad that will have the help of the raucous Pit environment. Utah has won three straight games in the series including an 81-51 smack down at The Pit last year. It was the Lobos' third worst loss at Bob King Court ever.

UNM (9-15, 3-8 MWC), is led by Douglas, who enters the contest as the leading scorer in the nation at 28.5 PPG. But the problem remains the same; the Lobos have yet to find a consistent second scorer. While sophomore Jamaal Williams electrified Lobo fans with a 25-point, 15-rebound effort against the University of Nevada-Las Vegas. He followed that up with a dismal performance Monday night. Williams finished Monday's game with only four points on two-of-seven shooting and grabbed one rebound in 19 minutes of action.

Inconsistency has been the problem all year for point guard Javin Tindall, shooting guard Mark Walters and Williams. The trio has displayed signs of brilliance on occasion, then signs of hopelessness at other times. The trouble is they can't score in sync, they can't score consistently and until they do, the Lobos' outcome will remain constant, another "L" in the standings.

To make matters worse, sophomore transfer Michael McCowan left the team on Wednesday. He was averaging .7 points and 1 rebound while playing in 18 of 24 games. He cited lack of playing time as the reason for leaving. McCowan's departure leaves the Lobos with only nine players, seven on scholarship and two walk-ons.

The upcoming home stand marks the final games at the University Arena for the two UNM seniors, NBA prospect Douglas and the injured Senque Carey.

Game time is set for 1:05 p.m., Saturday at The Pit. The game can be viewed live on CH. 13 or heard on 770 A.M.