EDITORIAL: Power of Internet petitions explored

I received an interesting e-mail petition the other day, titled "Impeach Bush."

In fact, a Web site has actually been created at www.votetoimpeach.org for this online petition. Most people are aware of online petitions -- one just went around earlier this month asking to boycott Vanity Fair and writer letters to the magazine for printing a column that many in the Hispanic community found offensive. The end result of that petition was that Vanity Fair apologized for the column.

This new petition says that "George W. Bush must answer to the people" and was adapted from Ramsey Clark's address to the Jan. 18 National March on Washington to Stop the War on Iraq, organized by International Act Now to Stop War and End Racism.

This really doesn't have anything to do with my opinion on whether Bush should be impeached or not for his attempts to lead the country into a war with Iraq, but more about the onslaught of online petitions that have appeared during the past couple of years.

The Vanity Fair petition obviously had an effect, reaching out to thousands in the U.S. Hispanic community. Yet, many people ignore online petitions for the simple fact that they are unreliable. Who's to say that one person didn't make up 20 names and sign them on the petition? Perhaps paper petitions this is also a problem, but most likely less so. Who checks these petitions anyway?

Go ahead and count the number of petitions you find in your electronic mailbox. Could an online petition going ahead the virtual community asking for the impeachment of our president possibly have an effect? I highly doubt that our Congress representatives would take this petition seriously, despite the grave intent of the petitioners. After all, impeachment is engaged by Congress and we, whether we like it or not, have a Republican Congress.

The Internet is the perfect way to reach out to thousands of people. It is way for voices to be heard. Still, one must always take with a grain of salt what one receives as e-mail.

Therefore, I advise to proceed with caution with each e-mail petition you receive. It's important to have your voice heard, but research what is being sent to you. Odds are that you can find a different or better avenue to be heard.

Then again, sign the sucker. Who knows, maybe people will hear you regardless of the legitimacy of the petition. After all, the Internet is a wondrous, far-reaching tool.

Angela Williams

Editor in Chief