Ice Wolves' talent shows through

Tonight is Hockey Night at UNM. So is Saturday.

Hockey at UNM? You better believe it.

UNM's club hockey team, the Ice Wolves, has been active since 1996. The Ice Wolves (1-4-1) are now in their sixth year. The team, which plays the University of Northern Colorado this weekend, is proving that they have the speed, strength and talent to play with some of the top clubs in the region.

Once such club, Arizona State University, was UNM's most recent opponent. The Ice Wolves dropped both of the games against the Ice Devils last weekend. But in defeat, UNM proved that they are in the same class as a club regarded as one of the better clubs in the region - and they did it on the unfriendly ice of ASU.

The first match against ASU, Friday night's 6-3 loss, was not without its highlights. Right wing Zac Currie, scored two goals for the Ice Wolves. Team captain and center Nick Hoffman got an assist on one of Currie's goals, the other was unassisted. Right wing Oscar Solis, one of three brothers on the ice for the Wolves, also scored a goal from a Ben Kressy assist. The Ice Devils added an empty net goal to close the scoring.

The second game, a 4-3 loss in sudden death overtime, proved to be an exciting contest. Hoffman, the wily veteran, scored first for the Wolves, from defender Ben Njus' assist. The second goal came when center Edgar Solis capitalized on assists from Hoffman and brother Oscar Solis. The third and final Wolves' goal came from Njus, who scored with a Hoffman assist - his second of the game.

"Nick always knows how to put the puck into the net or create opportunities for other guys to do so. He's the team leader." Njus said. "Zac Currie is also an outstanding player. He is very talented."

The Ice Wolves did not see these two losses as products of a lack of talent.

"Honestly, I feel we had the better team," Njus said. "We had more talent. Unfortunately, they just put the puck in the net more times than we did. We're starting to really come around though, playing more as a team."

UNM has the home ice Friday and Saturday, playing Northern Colorado at the Outpost Ice Arena, 9530 Tramway Blvd. N.E. The puck drops at 9:15 tonight and 5:00 p.m. Saturday. Tickets are available for $5 per adults, $3 per students and $2 for kids.