Theater offers more indy choice

If you're looking for a break from Albuquerque's normal film scene, look no further than the old San Mateo 8, remodeled into the next phase of movie viewing - Madstone Theaters.

Focusing on art and foreign films, Madstone Theaters are a new chain of theaters, catering to alternative movie tastes in major cities. From its headquarters in Manhattan, Madstone has successfully opened theaters in Cleveland, Denver, San Diego, Cary, N.C., and now Albuquerque.

Upon entering the theater, longtime Albuquerque residents will notice a vast difference from the old San Mateo 8's interior design. The theater has been revamped, now taking on a customer-friendly atmosphere.

To the right of the entrance is a large cafÇ area, where movie-goers can stay and have a smoothie (all cleverly named after avant-garde movies), a cup of coffee or a fresh sandwich.

Madstone has several more benefits than the existing theaters in town, one of which is the membership program. For $40 (or $20 for a student), individuals receive a year-long membership that entitles them to ticket discounts, a Madstone T-shirt and complimentary passes to exclusive screenings and premieres.

The possibility of poetry slams or acoustic sessions for musicians also were brought up by Casey Hann, the theater's general manager.

Hann said Madstone wants to keep things local.

"The bread we use for the sandwiches comes from the French baker just down the street," Hann said. "The community is what we are interested in, and they will ultimately dictate what goes on at this theater."

Madstone will be the one of only two theaters in town that offers student discounts, a big factor for some of the people who were attending the opening weekend festivities. Ian Pines and Walter Viga, both 17-year-olds who attend La Cueva High School, became members of the Madstone community, looking to save money on tickets and keep up with any news of events at the Madstone Theaters.

Madstone's staff were very knowledgeable about the films that were showing in the theater, as well as future films.

Karin Pham, an actress and a new employee of Madstone, said the addition of another art film house in Albuquerque is a huge step in the right direction.

"I hope they don't compete, but work together, to get more people into art and foreign films," Pham said.

The grand opening of Madstone Theaters is Friday.

Films that will be showing include "The Piano Teacher," "Enigma" and "The Third Man." Tickets are $5.25 for all shows before 5 p.m. and $8.25 in the evening. Seniors and Children are discounted at $5.75, Students at $6.50, and Members get in for $5.