Local band edges into Albuquerque

The members of Boss Ordinance do not make up your typical Albuquerque band.

They lack the angst, funk and free-flow sensibilities that saturate the local scene. They're not punk, jazz, or even new age funk with a little bit of country. They don't seem concerned with image or standing out.

When I spoke to them, the quintet was casually sporting jeans and T-shirts, their hair was combed and not a piercing or tattoo was to be seen. In fact, they are as clean-cut in appearance as they are in sound.

"Our sound is really main stream pop rock," lead singer Matt Jones said. "We're influenced by a lot of singer songwriters. Counting Crows, Train, Paul Simon, John Mayor and guys like that."

The influences show on their second independent CD Departure with songs such as "Hook You Dangle," an upbeat pop rock song, and "Waiting To See."

Formed in 1998, the band is comprised of lead singer/guitarist Matt Jones, lead guitarist/singer Jeff Wruble, bass/back-up vocals Lance Kelly and Tyler Summers on drums and back-up vocals.

I caught up with the band at an acoustic show at the Flying Star CafÇ last Friday night. We talked about the band's past, present and future.

The group has been together almost five years and in that time has played locally, as well as in Texas and Arizona. That may not seem impressive until you realize that the four members can't even legally drink yet and live most of the year in different states.

"Lance is the only one in the group who's a Lobo," Wruble said. "Tyler and Jeff go to TCU at Fort Worth, and I go to Arizona State."

Living so far apart would destroy most bands, but Boss Ordinance has overcome this geological handicap with patience and technology.

"The only way that we keep the band going is over Christmas and summer," Jones said. "What we do in the meantime is record the songs over the computer and then transfer them into mp3's and send them over the Internet to each other, so we can learn the songs before we meet back up."

"Then we get gigs in these different cities we live in," Kelly added. "We fly or drive out, a true 21st century band."

While this may seem like a lot of work, it has paid off. They have a sound that is an amalgamation of influences, but also unique. The show they played on Friday was an acoustic set, but the band members admit that they would rather play plugged in.

Boss Ordinance as a band has struggled with geological difficulties, boy band comparisons and New Mexican summers that could melt the inspiration out of Monet, but they remain optimistic about the future.

"In five years I see us either on tour, living in Los Angeles or chilling with Carson Daly on TRL," Kelly said.

"Or on Britney Spears' tour bus, one way or another," Wruble added.

For more information on the band visit www.bo ssordinance.com.