Concepto Tambor gives off infectious grooves

The show began on the sidewalk near the corner of Central Avenue and Fifth Street, where six percussionists gathered to begin their vigorous and infectious performance.

Concepto Tambor, a percussion ensemble specializing in Latin American rhythms, celebrated the release of their debut CD Santo Tambor at the Launchpad last Friday.

Hot and sweaty audience members shouted and clapped in rhythm as the group wound their way through the bar and played the first piece surrounded on all sides by fans. This is what sets Concepto Tambor apart — the ability to infect the audience with their enthusiasm and connect with everyone in the room. Few people ever stopped dancing.

Concepto Tambor was formed as a new kind of act for Spring Crawl 2000. One of the founders, Pablo Sanhueza, said he and Christian Orellana of Red Earth were looking to start a group that reflected their South American roots. Sanhueza is from Chile, and Orellana is from Peru. Jeff Duneman, also of Red Earth, Sandy Whitesel of Panjea, Mateas Pizarro of Stoic Frame and Mat Watkins of Airglow make up the rest of the ensemble.

"For us, Latin percussion and the study of this music is beyond entertainment" Sanhueza said. "We present a rebirth of the music that we were born into."

According to the group's Web site, Concepto Tabor encompasses attributes from Brazilian samba and maracatu, Cuban guaguanco, Columbian cumbia, Peruvian festejo, Puerto Rican plena, Dominican merengue and North American hip-hop.

At the CD release party, the band played a variety of all these rhythms. Members of 6 Degrees jumped on stage mid-show to free-flow over heavy hip-hop/Latin beats to great effect. Still, members of Concepto Tambor insist that they are students of percussion.

"I've spent a lot of time in Brazil and I don't even consider myself a percussionist," said Duneman said. "I'm a drumset player. After learning in Brazil, you have to stay humble."

Because the performances are so interactive, a common misconception about Concepto Tambor, is that they are simply jamming on stage. The compositions are tightly written and well rehearsed.

"Our performance really feeds off the audience," Sanhuenza said. "Drumming, chanting, and dance are the three elements that are the core of the performance."

Concepto Tambor will be performing at Evangelo's in Santa Fe Saturday at 10 p.m. There is a $5 cover.

Contact Concepto Tambor at 244-9052, or visit Red Earth's Web site at www.Tribalstew.com.