Bands get to the roots of blues

Blues is American music.

But not in a ubiquitous, pop music way - blues and its close cousin roots rock have always been more organic.

Two bands that take the blues and run with it are Los Lobos and Big Head Todd and the Monsters - two of the headliners at this weekend's Taos Solar Music Festival.

The two are more roots rock bands, but the blues influence in them is clear and strong, particularly on their latest CDs.

Colorado's Big Head Todd and the Monsters were one of the best roots rock bands to emerge in the mid-1990s. Taking their cue from blues pioneers and refining their music in bars from Boulder to Chicago, Todd Park Mohr and his bandmates made music that was earnest, powerful and not at all derivative.

The group's latest, Riviera from BIG Records, is strident at times and laconic at others. Mohr's dusky tenor dominates throughout, as does his mellow guitar tone.

If Riviera has a failing, it's that the group doesn't push past second gear often enough. In that respect, the CD is much like the group's first two records - more mellow than muscular.

Not that the Mohr and the Monsters don't sound fab in cruise mode. But songs like the strident "Freedom Fighter" and "Secret Mission" feel like Saturday afternoon freedom. Still, Riviera is top-notch.

Los Lobos have always been musical searchers. The group consistently conjures new sounds, but manages to stay true to its blues and rock roots - not to mention its Latin/Mexican musical marrow.

The group's latest, Good Morning Aztl†n from Mammoth Records, is a musical journey that cycles the senses down a road built on rock, Latin, blues and soul.

The group's songwriting trio, Cesar Rosas, David Hildalgo and Louie PÇrez, get everything they can out of each song. Their songwriting is remarkably solid, illustrating their command over varying styles. Whether they're rambling through a '50s-style rave-up, as with "Done Gone Blue," or crooning through a cambia, as with "Luz de Mi Vida," these guys play with authority, verve and style.

Its hard to call Good Morning Aztl†n the best disc Los Lobos has ever produced, if only because they've done such amazing work through the years.

The disc does prove that Los Lobos have done one thing - they've managed to hold on to their roots while growing as musicians. The group has done what few manage: it has evolved without ever losing sight of what got them playing music in the first place. Los Lobos have managed to age like good whisky. Sure the band has mellowed, but it's lost none of their kick. The band sounds better with age.