'Child' play takes on gritty subjects

Recently, I have been struggling with the idea of art versus entertainment. What exactly makes a work purely entertainment as opposed to something of worldly value, of artistic complexity?

Alison Terry, a master's degree student focusing on theater education, believes that theater should promote social change. She is the director of UNM's Department of Theater and Dance's production of "Friday's Child" by Pamela Sterling, author of "The Secret Garden," among other children's plays.

"Friday's Child" has broad in scope. Set in 1972 Northern Ireland, the play tells the story of the Lonigan Family. Tom is a 13-year-old boy caught between his grandfather, who wants him to enlist in the Irish Republican Army like his older friend Jack, but his sister Meg, wants to prevent him from enlisting.

The British/Irish and Protestant/Catholic conflicts pervade the play, while the constant threat of the British military presence looms over the family.

Although staged in another time in a far off place, "Friday's Child" addresses many topical issues. "The events of Sept. 11," has become such a widely used phrased that using it seems almost trite, but the play helps us to remember the far-reaching effects of war. What does it mean to have to go to war at the age of 13? Americans will more than likely never know that feeling, but the general consciousness resulting from our current situation makes the issues dominating "Friday's Child" very relevant.

Going to Theatre X this weekend will not mean an escape from the real world. It will however, provide an opportunity to take a child or young adult to the theater and confront issues that we see on the television, or sometimes even our own streets. Alison Terry is trying to do her part in changing the world by staging a play that will, if successful, leave its audience questioning the very nature of violence and war. And yes, "Friday's Child" is a children's theater piece.

Terry met the author, Sterling, through UNM's Wrinkle Writing Program, a theater training program for teachers which Terry now oversees. But this show will not run alongside "The Boxcar Children" in Popejoy. To see a gritty, edgy and potentially controversial play that does not talk down to children, you will have to go downstairs to Theatre X.

The play features Eli Keltz, Kelly Michael Flaherty, Ravenna Fahey, Zac Carlson, Kerry Bollenbach, Aaron Bower, Daniel Hicks and Jared Thompson.

Terry suggests that the show is for young audiences but advises parental discretion. Accompaniment by a parent or adult is recommended for those under age 14.

It will run in Theatre X, downstairs in the Center for the Arts, Wednesday through Saturday at 7:30 p.m. Tickets are $7 for the general public and $5 for students, faculty, staff and seniors. Tickets are available at the UNM Ticket Office, which can be reached at 277-4569, or at any tickets.com outlet.