College Democrats president says government can make a difference

Brian Eagan, president of the UNM College Democrats, said education and family have been foremost in his life.

Eagan, a presidential scholar at the University, said both of his parents taught him the importance of involvement from an early age.

"They taught me that it's important to be an active citizen in the public realm, keeping touch and making your community a better place by being active and informed."

Eagan, a junior majoring in political science, said he's gradually immersed himself in democratic politics.

He was born and raised in Albuquerque, N.M., and is a graduate of Sandia High School. His father, Steve, graduated from Sandia High School in 1969 and is an engineer with the state highway department. Brian's mother, Deborah, attended New Mexico State University and was a teacher in Albuquerque Public Schools.

Eagan said he was a civil engineering student like his father but later realized that his calling was political science.

He said he still remains involved with his former discipline to some extent.

Eagan works as a public relations specialist for the UNM Transportation Information and Project Facilitation Department. He helped build the unm.edu/waytogo.com Web site, which informs people about construction projects at the University with daily updates.

Eagan, an only child, said that his family, which includes his parents, grandmother, aunts, uncles and cousins, is tightly knit - attending the same church and having frequent gatherings. He said his family is politically active as well. One of his grandfathers served as a city councilor in Las Cruces, he said.

Eagan completed a summer internship with Sen. Jeff Bingaman, D-N.M., and said that he enjoyed the experience and learned many things about politics and culture.

"You find out a lot by virtue of being the intake of all the written communication, but you don't craft the policy, you just learn," he said.

Eagan said he really admires Bingaman and what he's done for New Mexico.

The College Democrats at UNM are involved in community service, Eagan said. This year, they want to get people involved in Habitat for Humanity, he said.

"Last year, we had around 10 people; this year for Welcome Back Days, around 40 people signed up," Eagan said.

Some of Eagan's hobbies are distance running, traveling, visiting historical sights, art and following the news.

A self-described "news junkie," Eagan's minor is Journalism and Mass Communications. As for the future, Eagan said he plans to attend law school and would like to serve the public interest in some way. He said he might take some time between graduation and law school to be a legislative correspondent in Washington, D.C.

Eagan said his goal as president of the College Democrats is to reach out to students and discuss the issues that resonate among them. Eagan stressed that involvement and participation make a difference in students' lives.

He cited the example of the Lottery Scholarship now being funded 100 percent by lottery profits as a successful result of student involvement.

"Government touches people's lives every day; it's in every aspect of our lives now," Eagan said. "It's really government by, of and for the people, and it only works when you're part of the system and when you participate and tell the leaders, `This is what I want, this is what should happen,' because that's what democracy is based on."

The College Democrats' next scheduled meeting is Thursday, Sept. 13 at 7 p.m. in Dane Smith Hall, Room 225.