Strategic Planners want more student, staff input

Organizers hope forums this week will attract more from campus community

UNM student John Probasco has worked for at least 142 hours on UNM’s Strategic Plan and said he wants others to join the conversation about the future of the University during three forums this week.

“The task force has been really great, and I consider the work we’ve put in about the equivalent of one three-credit hour course,” he said. “The time has been worth it and we’ve been coming up with some great ideas, but we can’t think of everything. We need everyone to take a look at what we’ve come up with and offer their opinions.”

Karl Benedict, UNM graduate student and staff member, was on the 19-member Strategic Planning Task Force with Probasco.

Benedict said that the task force has worked hard during the last year to design a solid plan to help improve the University.

“On every committee I was on as the former GPSA council chairman, our questions always reverted back to why UNM didn’t have a strategic plan because it was clearly needed,” he said. “Now I’m happy I was able to contribute to the process of getting there.”

Benedict said that the group has been disappointed with the turnout of the task force’s spring forums and hopes to see more people, particularly students, participating this week.

“I know it was scheduled at bad times last semester near finals, but this time I hope we get more people,” he said. “Nobody showed up for some of the forums, which was upsetting, but I think this time will be better.”

In addition to scheduling conflicts, Probasco and Benedict said that the forums may not have gotten as much support because people don’t believe that much will come from the reports.

“I know some are saying this is just an elaborate paper exercise, but every indication I have seen really is going in the opposite direction of that,” Benedict said. “We’ve gotten tremendous administrative support and Provost Brian Foster has been there every step of the way. So many of us would not have put this much time into it if we thought it would be ignored.”

Benedict added that he has been working with student government and the University administration for years and knows that people are unhappy with bureaucracy.

“This report addresses a lot of those concerns — we’re trying to cut the red tape,” he said.

Both students said that reading the complex 31-page report also may be difficult to handle.

“I just recommend that people really read the sections of the report that really interest them,” he said. “It’s broken down pretty well so that people can find the sections that matter and apply to them.”

Probasco and Benedict were recommended for the task force by the undergraduate and graduate student government and were appointed by Foster. They both said they think the latest draft of the plan is balanced and think it reflects the University’s needs.

“This is a real significant turning point for UNM, and we need people to understand that this is an opportunity to make a great deal of change and set us on the right track,” Benedict said. “I know some wanted this to be more a document about how to bring more revenue to UNM, but it’s more a plan on what to do with what we have. After lobbying the Legislature for years, I know UNM has a great deal to make up for and needs to gain some credibility. This document moves us toward that.”

The plan includes suggestions on how to improve graduate studies, preparation, and support for graduate assistants, which Benedict said he is very happy to see in the report.

Probasco said he was happiest that an emphasis was placed on freshman learning communities and streaming student services.

“We’re really moving toward helping make UNM a better place,” he said.

Probasco and Benedict have almost completed their degrees, but they choose to invest most of their free time in the strategic planning process.

“You almost have to be careful what you wish for because I always wanted UNM to have a strategic plan, but then I ended up working on it,” Benedict said. “I guess I just saw a great opportunity to give back to UNM.”

Probasco echoed Benedict’s sentiments about helping the University.

“My sister is a freshman here and what I do now may not help me, but it could help her and all the students that come after her,” he said.