La Posada aims to use its leftovers to feed the poor

La Posada customers can expect some changes in their dining environment during the next few weeks, according to a cafeteria official.

No plans have been made regarding the quality of food at the campus dining hall, only the amount of food saved from the garbage.

UNM Freshman Martin Tice said he doesn't consider himself a picky eater when it comes to food and had few complaints when it came to La Posada.

That is until he discovered what he called a "mysterious ham and sauerkraut sandwich that was absolutely disgusting."

He said he did not finish the sandwich. He left it on his tray at the cafeteria just as many students leave piles of leftovers.

"I have no remorse," Tice said.

David French, newly appointed general manager of food services, said he wants to reduce the quantity of wasted food and donate more to charity.

"There are legal issues with donating already prepared food, but there are ways to get around it," French said.

French said the cafeteria plans to implement programs that will encourage students to waste less food.

Proportioned meals will be served at every food station within the next few weeks, he said.

He also said he wants to use an idea that has succeeded at schools he worked for on the east coast. Every week the amount of disposed food is measured, and the following week students are challenged to waste less.

If they do so, the amount of food they save is donated to the charity of their choice.

French said he plans to tell managers and workers to encourage students to take less food, reminding them that they can always come back for more.

"I don't mind trying to put a guilt trip on them," French said. "There are hungry people in the world that need that food."

Tice also had some helpful advice.

"I try to stick to the salad and cereal or something with minimal preparation because it's impossible for anyone to mess that up," he said.