Sports in brief

The UNM men’s golf program turned to a familiar face when looking for a new head coach.

Athletics Director Rudy Davalos promoted UNM assistant golf coach Glen Millican on Monday.

Millican, 26, has been involved in the Lobo golf program for seven years. Millican will be the Lobos’ seventh men’s golf coach since 1945. He succeeds J.T. Higgins, who departed to take the head coaching job at Texas A&M University earlier this month.

Millican has been an assistant coach at UNM for the past three years and was a four-year letter winner for the Lobos from 1994-98. He graduated from UNM in 1998 with a degree in management.

Following his playing career, Millican joined Higgins’ staff and assisted with recruiting and fund-raising, and coached the Lobo junior varsity squad.

Millican will be taking over a talented team that lost only four seniors and will have two-time all-Mountain West Conference selection junior Wil Collins and conference freshman of the year Michael Letzig. The team also won three tournaments for the first time in school history and finished the season ranked 18th in the country.

Among Millican’s accolades as a player, he had seven top-10 finishes and was named Academic All-American as a junior in 1997.

l l l

UNM continued its success in the classroom when nine players from the baseball and softball teams were chosen on the Mountain West Conference all-academic team.

Six players from the softball team and three players from the baseball team were chosen for the all-academic team.

To be selected on the all-academic team a student-athlete must complete at least one academic term, maintain a 3.0 grade point average or better and be a starter or be a significant contributor on the team.

The softball team earned a 2.84 grade point average in the spring semester and are represented on the team by freshman Hayley Punter; juniors Michelle Carter, Tiffani Chambers, Cayley Warner; and seniors Marianna Fenelli and Krissy Keene.

Representing the baseball team and helping it earn a 2.76 are sophomores Christopher Alexander, Kristopher Gross and Dusty Young.