Golf team finishes fourth in MWC

Staff Report

The UNM men's golf team finished in fourth place in the Mountain West Conference Championships held at Sunriver, Ore., April 30-May 2.

The Lobos had an up-and-down three days that saw them go from fifth place on Monday to first place on Tuesday and finish fourth when the tournament ended Wednesday. UNM shot a total score of 899 (+35), nine strokes behind conference tournament winner Brigham Young University, 890, (+26).

Individually, John Lepak of San Diego State University took home first place with a three over par score of 219. The Lobos best finisher was Joel Hendry, who finished in fifth place, with a total score of 223, (+7). Wil Collins scored a 227 (+11) to finish in 11th place. Freshman Jim Anderson shot a 228 (+12) to finish in 13th place. Sophomore Michael Letzig placed 16th by hitting a 229 (+13). Scott Hailes shot a 232 (+16) for 22nd place.

On the first day, UNM battled with 20 to 30 mph winds and snow flurries, ending in fifth place.

On the second day, the Lobos made a furious comeback and shot 29 strokes better than the day before. Anderson, who shot a second round low of 69, led the comeback. The Lobos were tied with BYU for first place after the second round.

On the final day, the Lobos could not hold the lead and saw three teams pass them in the standings. Hendry was chosen to the all-conference team.