On closer inspection, Sierra didn’t do his homework

I am very concerned about the rhetoric presented in Luis Sierra’s April 6 letter regarding his attitude about Sen. Tim Serna and The People slate.

As it turns out, I have done my own research and have found much of what Sierra pointed out to be untrue. If he had truly done his research, as he claims to have done, he would have found that The People have at least attempted to do what they had promised.

For example, during last semester’s campaign Serna promised to better the relationship between the ASUNM student government and the student body. He has done so by establishing — and chairing — the Public Relations Ad Hoc Committee.

This committee, which includes presidential candidate Andrea Cook, is working toward better accountability measures and outlining of senatorial duties for senators. If Sierra had ever attended a Senate meeting, he would have heard the constant updates from Serna and his committee.

If Sierra had done his research, he also would have found that at least two senators from last semester’s Students Advocating for Students slate also were responsible for groups losing funding. He would have found that Sen. Javier Mart°nez, one of Serna’s running mates, pointed out that senators had not done their jobs and that it is the job of the vice president to provide any disciplinary action.

Mr. Sierra, if you would like to talk about funding, I have only one thing to say: No group came out of the ASUNM spring budget process unscathed.

It is true that some groups had their budgets cut more than others, and about five others lost their funding altogether. Serna was not and is not responsible for the well being of all student groups, nor was he a one-man finance committee.

Was anything mentioned of the organizations represented by Sen. Evan Kist or Nicole Griego? These organizations suffered a substantial loss, as well, but I suppose that Sierra must have overlooked them during his “extensive research.”

It comes as no surprise to me that you, Mr. Sierra, are in support of The Connection slate because spouters of rhetoric do seem to stick together. It’s time to make a choice here, UNM: Do we stand in support of the same old tired lip service, or do we stand in support of those who have actually attempted to create change?

The choice is ours. Let’s make the right one.

Julianita Maestas

UNM student