City works to increase bicycling, motor safety

Student Health Center staff

Student Health column

With spring finally here and Big I construction continuing, this is the perfect time to start commuting by bike. Bicycling is a cheap, healthy and fun way to exercise and get around Albuquerque, not to mention that it’s a great way to meet new people.

However, bicycling puts you on the road with large, fast cars. Many people cite this as a reason they do not ride more often. To help this, the City of Albuquerque is offering free classes in effective cycling.

These courses are great for novices and anyone who would like to get tips on riding better on the streets. They also cover basic handling skills, traffic rules and minor maintenance skills. Call 768-BIKE for more information.

If you learn nothing else from this column, I hope you wil read these few, but important facts. First, wear a helmet. Eighty percent of bicyclists die as a result of head injury. Ninety-six percent of bicyclists killed in 1996 were not wearing a helmet.

Second, wear reflective clothing and invest in front and rear lights. Bicycle deaths occur most frequently between 3-9 p.m., and major motor vehicles are involved in more than 90 percent of bicyclists’ deaths.

Finally, ride with traffic on the right hand side of the road, not on the sidewalk!

Far and away, skydiving is the most risky sport that you can engage in. Bicycling is farther down the list, nestled between water skiing and flying on a commercial aircraft, and it’s safer than riding in an automobile. However, you can do a few things to minimize your risk.

For example, it is most important for bicyclists to be predictable. Signal your intention to turn and change lanes. Obey all traffic signs and signals. Ride as far to the right as practical — you’re not obligated to ride in the gutter or over potholes and glass.

Be aware of road hazards such as grates and manhole covers. Ride at least three feet from parked cars because drivers may open their car door in your path. Additionally, make sure your bicycle helmet has met safety standards. Look for a certification sticker with the letters SNELL, ASTM or ANSI.

When you drive, you can also help make roads safer for bicyclists. Drivers need to be aware that more New Mexicans are taking up cycling. While making left or right turns, watch for oncoming cyclists. When you park, check your side mirror for cyclists before opening the door. Pass cyclists at a safe distance — at least five feet.

This is an exciting time for bike routes in Albuquerque. A 1/4-cent tax is used for road improvements and the transportation system. One million dollars per year for the next 10 years or four percent of this tax is dedicated to off-street bike trails. These funds will be used to connect existing bike trails, extend trails and provide bike lanes on designated streets while re-surfacing.

For the first time in 30 years, the city is looking at the bike route system and hopes to develop a comprehensive bike plan.

For those interested in bicycling, please call 768-BIKE for a map of the city’s bike routes and paths. The New Mexico Touring Society meets frequently for bike rides. The Women’s Mountain Bike and Tea Society also have weekly rides.

For more information, please contact GASP (a cyclist advocacy group) through Gail Ryba at gnryba@nmia.com, or New Mexico Touring Society at 332-0824 or 299-3580.

The Student Health Center will be sponsoring a Bike Safety Day on April 4 from 10 a.m.-2 p.m. on the main campus mall. Drop by for tune-ups and prizes.