Campus News In Brief

“A Conference for Girls and Women with Disabilities, Families, Educators, Service Providers and Community Members,” will be held today from 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. at the Hilton Hotel, 1901 University Blvd. N.E.

The free event is co-sponsored by the UNM Women’s Resource Center and the New Mexico State Department of Special Education.

Ann Forts, motivational speaker on “disABILITIES” and member of the President’s Committee on Mental Retardation, will deliver the conference’s introduction. Internationally recognized civil rights advocate Judith Heumann, who is the former assistant secretary of education in the Office of Special Education and Rehabilitation Services, will give the keynote address.

Sessions will be offered on a variety of topics, including: “Mental Illness: Recognizing a Non-Visible Disability,” by Paulette K. Hopke; “Knowing Your Rights in the World of Work,” by Susan Weiss; “Developing Mentoring Programs,” by C.W. Tillman; and “Women, Disability and Violence,” by Shannon Duffy.

Lunch and a “Very Special Arts” performance is scheduled for noon in the ballroom.

Information and resources related to the conference theme will be available at an Information Fair held from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.

Pre-registration by Friday is required for lunch and special needs. For more information, call the UNM Women’s Resource Center at 277-3716.

l l l

Center on Alcoholism, Substance Abuse and Addictions will sponsor a colloquium presentation featuring Dr. G. Alan Marlatt, director of the Addictive Behaviors Research Center and psychology professor at the University of Washington. He will deliver a talk on “Reducing Alcohol Problems On Campus: Integrating Environmental and Individual Prevention Programs” on Monday from 4-5 p.m. at the Center on Alcoholism Substance Abuse and Addictions, Building 2, in the conference room. The center is at 2350 Alamo S.E.

Marlatt’s research focuses on primary and secondary prevention of alcohol abuse and dependence in high-risk youth and studies of social and interpersonal determinants of alcohol consumption in humans. In the mid-1990s, Marlatt conducted a research project called “Lifestyles” that focused on reducing alcohol problems on college campuses.

The study evaluated the efficacy of a brief, individual intervention designed to reduce the harmful consequences related to heavy drinking among high-risk college students. Participants were initially screened during their senior year of high school. Follow-up assessments over a four-year period showed significant reductions in both drinking rates and harmful consequences for students receiving intervention compared to a non-intervention control group.

Marlatt will give an overview and description of the “Lifestyles” project and will discuss the benefits of integrating environmental and individual intervention programs targeting at-risk college students. Marlatt received his doctorate in clinical psychology from Indiana University in 1968 and his bachelor’s degree in psychology from the University of British Columbia in 1964.

l l l

Graduate students in the Linguistics Department will present their research findings on New Mexican speech patterns on May 4 in the Ortega Hall Reading Room.

The symposium, titled “How You Speak Reveals Who You Are,” begins at 9 a.m. with 30-minute presentations scheduled through 4 p.m. The event is free. Refreshments will be provided and an interpreter is available.

Visiting Professor Dr. Shana Poplack, distinguished sociolinguist and variationist from the University of Ottawa, guided the student research. Poplack has written extensively on Hispanic and Canadian French linguistics, code switching and African-American Vernacular English. The UNM students focused on different ethnic and cultural heritage groups from across the state.

l l l

The Anderson Schools of Management has launched a new online magazine for its alumni titled “Anderson!” The bimonthly publication will provide Anderson Schools of Management alumni and friends with the latest news about the people, places and programs at UNM.

“I’m proud to be able to offer a way for our alumni to access our news and features on their own schedules, from wherever in the world they happen to be,” Dean Howard Smith said in a news release. “This is a great step forward for both The Anderson Schools and the University.”

Articles in the first issue of “Anderson!” include a story on the Anderson Schools of Management high ranking in Hispanic Business magazine; a profile of recent alumni Brett Hills and Chad Cooper, founders of NMBars.com and NMRestaurants.com; an in-depth look at the Management Technology Program; and a photo tour of the newly renovated Ford Motor Company Advisement and Placement Center.

“Anderson!” complements the new design of the ASM Web site, which features information about the Anderson Schools of Management. The latest issue of “Anderson!” is online at http://asm.unm.edu/ezine. Past issues are also available on the site. For more information, contact Shawn Shepherd at 277-6264.