`Space' an eclectic recital

"Springtime Space," a dance concert choreographed by the UNM Dance Faculty and performed by the UNM Dance Company, will open Friday.

"Springtime Space" offers a number of dance styles, with a little something for everyone. The dance has five main pieces and two smaller, closing pieces.

Choreographed by Judith Bennahum, "La Valse Infernale" is a ballroom scene set to Ravel's "La Valse."

The scene features five couples and a single woman who represents a seductress, creating confusion and jealousy among the couples.

"Njinji" is an African dance that was choreographed by Rujeko Dumbutshena. It features a group of dancers in brightly colored costumes performing a traditional tribal dance.

Four musicians play various percussion instruments from the side of the stage and create the rhythm of the piece, while the dancers move about creatively. The piece drags a bit in the beginning, but finds its tone at the halfway mark. The dance is a spiritual piece, and one must remember to keep an open mind while watching it.

"Yes, Indeed!" is one of the high points of the show. It is an unaccompanied tap dance performed by UNM Theater and Dance professor Bill Evans and five UNM students.

From the moment the curtain rises, the piece has a light and comical feel, which only grows as the dancers continue their performance.

The first sound from the stage is a single pair of feet taping a quick rhythm, and the other five soon join in.

As the lights go up, six people are illuminated in colorful spotlights, performing an engaging series of footwork that Evans describes as "playing with rhythm . with various aspects of folding chairs and tap dance and body percussion rhythms."

As the scene continues, dancers take control of the stage, and the folding chairs become props for dance moves, rhythm and comedy. Each dancer has a brief solo performance that is cheered on by the rest of the group, creating a fun and lively atmosphere.

Evans calls rhythm tap dance "a uniquely American art form.[fusing] African and Irish influences to create a musically-rich tradition very connected to Jazz." "Yes, Indeed!" is a definite must see in "Springtime Space."

The other main attraction of the show is the closing number "Jazz Eclectic." Choreographed by Fletcher Nickerson, the scene begins with a sultry jazz song, moves on to music from the soundtrack of the movie "The Matrix," and concludes with another piece containing a heavy techno beat. One to eight women are on stage during the piece and the ballet steps, mixed with hip-hop, create an exciting atmosphere.

The show will also feature an original work by UNM professor Jennifer Predock-Linnell titled ". and not an invisible wall in sight," and a flamenco work by UNM professor Eva Encinias-Sandoval.

"Springtime Space" will run at Rodey Theatre Feb. 23-24 at 7:30 p.m., Feb. 25 at 2 p.m. and March 1-3 at 7:30 p.m. General admission tickets cost $10, while student, faculty and staff tickets are $6. Tickets are available at the UNM Ticket Office and at www.tickets.com.