Shuttles not to blame for student tardiness

Last week while I was waiting for the shuttle, I heard students complain about how long it took to catch a bus.

This is a complaint that I have often heard but do not understand. The problem, as I see it, is not too few buses or slow-footed drivers but that the students are coming to school too late. They show up five or 10 minutes before their class and then can't get there on time.

A student told me that the shuttle service is a business that is being run very inefficiently. The drivers carry thousands of students to and from the University parking lots each week with a high degree of safety. These drivers have always been cheerful and courteous to me. I consider the service to be very efficient and pleasant.

I tried to explain to another student that one of the drivers had been out for about two weeks with a mild heart attack but is back to work this week. While being sympathetic to the driver, the student suggested that UNM call a temporary work agency to get a replacement for him. This would be a great idea if not for the many regulations regarding the transport of passengers.

All bus drivers must be properly qualified and licensed to haul students around. The government establishes these requirements to ensure the public's safety. If properly qualified drivers could be found at a temp agency, I'm sure that Parking Services would be glad to call in a replacement whenever needed.

Sometimes, the system does not work perfectly. Problems arise and we just need to deal with it. The bottom line is this - if you show up 10 minutes before your class, you have no right to complain about the buses taking too long. Show up early and make everyone's life a little easier. If more students did this, then the last-minute rush for the few buses that are available would lessen. After all, it is the student's responsibility to get there on time, not the bus driver's.

Remember the shuttle service is provided as a courtesy to the students. If you do not like the service provided, then park some place else and walk to class. However, considering the lack of parking space on and around the campus you would probably have to show up early to get one.

Sherry Black

Daily Lobo reader