Heaton fails to see the acts of racism at UNM

Once again, I write on behalf of the portion of the UNM community that feels acts of racism have no place on this campus. Suzanne Heaton's Feb. 8 letter was appalling to me and many other students on campus. I cannot believe the things that people are willing to say to the general public and think that they are right.

Ms. Heaton, I ask you: if it had been you who had parked illegally on campus, would you have found it acceptable for UNM Parking Services to put gum in your locks, tape an internationally infamous hate symbol on your car, belittle you with racial and sexist epithets and threaten you with a beating?

Granted, Sigma Chi fraternity is not a University department, but they must still follow University policy. You must remember that Majedi was ready to accept reasonable consequences for her actions - a ticket or her car being towed - but fraternity members chose to be unreasonable and, quite frankly, hateful.

I have said before, and I will say again, that UNM has had many opportunities to change the atmosphere on campus and has done nothing. The Anti-Defamation League has come to the campus, evaluated the social dynamic and made recommendations to the administration. Still, no changes have been made, and people who commit these hate crimes still walk away with a mere slap on the wrist.

It is sad and disturbing that I must constantly be in fear on this campus, not only of being attacked somehow, but that the offender may not face any real consequences.

It is my belief that people on this campus are losing sight of the real issue at hand: a horrible crime committed by a notorious fraternity. Hundreds of students gathered in solidarity to protest this incident and the apathetic history of the UNM administration. I do hope, though, that Heaton or anyone else who thinks like her will never be victims of such crimes, for I feel that they will be made to eat their words.

Tim Serna

ASUNM senator

P.S.-This letter was written as a member of the general student body and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of the Senate.