Suspected stabber at large around UNM

A woman claiming to have been stabbed ran into a classroom in the Anthropology Building around 7:55 p.m., according to several witnesses who were in the classroom.
Student Mike Johnson, who was visibly shaken, said a woman ran into his music appreciation class clutching her throat and asking for help.

“I set my set stuff down and this poor lady walks in. She was holding her throat. She said, ‘somebody stabbed me, please help,’” he said. “We all kind of looked at each other like, ‘She’s joking.’ She moved her hand. There was blood all over her shirt.”
A red substance that appeared to be blood was splattered on the sidewalk in front of the north entrance of the Anthropology Building, and the area is marked off by police tape.

UNMPD responded to the scene, but deferred all comment to Lt. Robert Haarhues, UNMPD spokesman. Haarhues did not return several calls over the course of two hours.
Several students in the classroom corroborated Johnson’s story. Johnson said police responded within 30 seconds.

He said the class responded immediately to the woman’s injury. He said several of his classmates called the police.

“I took my shirt off, gave it to her,” he said. “She put it around her throat. It’s the worst thing I’ve ever seen. It shouldn’t happen at school, man.”

Kyle Morgan, another student in the class, said he and several of his male classmates bolted out the door after the woman described her assailant as a tall African American man with a black hooded sweatshirt and black hat.

He said they ran around the entire building but couldn’t find the man in question.
Johnson said he saw a man that matched the woman’s description standing outside the Anthropology Building just before Johnson sat down after retrieving books from his car. He said he and the man exchanged niceties, but he looked “kind of shady.”

A UNM TextMe alert system was sent out at 9:25 p.m. It said that the suspect was at large and encouraged students to be alert and walk in groups. And at 9:55 p.m., a second alert was sent out telling recipients that no further information was expected Monday night and to report suspicious activity.