Lobo center Erik Cook blocks one of his UNM teammates during the Cherry Silver scrimmage in this file photo. Cook said playing against former head coach Rocky Long, who is now San Diego State’s defensive coordinator, will be peculiar.

Locksley and team face former head coach Long

No, it’s not the “Return of the Mack,” the hit 90s song by Mark Morrison — it’s just the return of UNM’s head football coach, Mike Locksley, to a 0-7 team.

After a 10-day suspension for being involved in a physical altercation with assistant coach J.B. Gerald, Locksley and the Lobos travel to sunny southern California on Saturday to face San Diego State University.

“It’s great to be back, and it’s been a difficult 10 days,” Locksley said. “When something has been such a big part of your life — and for me it’s over 30 years since I last had football not be a part of my everyday life — it’s given me a little time to reflect. It’s given me an appreciation of the opportunities that I have or have had from coaching.”

But there’s at least one thing Locksley won’t appreciate: The Aztecs’ 48-28 come-from-behind win over Colorado State in Fort Collins, Colo.

Quarterback Ryan Lindley rallied SDSU in the second half, after the team was down 21-7 at halftime. The Mountain West Conference Co-Player of the Week — who shared the honor with teammate and wide receiver DeMarco Sampson — led the Aztecs to five straight scoring drives. Lindley threw for a career-high 459 yards and six touchdowns. The six touchdowns are a MWC record.

Three of Lindley’s scoring strikes went to wide receiver Sampson. Sampson hauled in TD receptions of five, 33 and 38 yards. To go with his three touchdown catches, Sampson caught a total of 15 passes for 257 yards, all of which are career bests for the wideout. The comeback victory over CSU puts SDSU at 3-4 overall and 1-2 in the MWC.

Locksley said he’s concerned about what the Aztec offense is capable of, but he knows when Lobo fans flip to CBS College Sports to watch the two schools duel, they’ll be watching more than just another game.

“San Diego State happens to have my predecessor on their staff as the defensive coordinator,” he said. “Rocky (Long) is a guy whom I have respected from the day I took over this job for what he was able to do here at this program.” Long is in his first season as SDSU’s defensive coordinator, and it will be the first time he coaches against his alma mater, a program he led for 11 years.

For some in the Lobos’ locker room, it will be an arousing moment, but wide receiver Chris Hernandez said he’s not concerned. “I’d have to say it’d probably be emotional for (Long),” Hernandez said. “But I think he’s taking it just like we’re taking it, you know, like the next game on the schedule. I know we really need a win, and I am not sure how their season is going, but I know they would like a win, too.”

Lobo center Erik Cook said Long’s defense will include exotic blitz packages, and he expects the Aztecs to be relentless in their approach.

“I am expecting his blitz-happy
defense,” he said.

Cook said he remembers how significant his football career has been at UNM — and some of that is because of Long.

“He brought me here, and Albuquerque is my home town,”

Cook said. “He was my coach for four years, and you can’t have anything but respect for the guy. He was a great coach.”

Still, Cook said fans shouldn’t expect to see a handshake between players who still respect Long prior to kickoff at Qualcomm Stadium.