Athletics Director Paul Krebs, left, and head football coach Mike Locksley arrive at the Tow Diehm Facility for a press conference Tuesday. Krebs announced that Locksley is on a 10-day suspension after the Sept. 20 physical altercation involving Locksley and wide receivers coach J.B. Gerald.

Head coach locked out of next game

Grab the remote to that high-definition, big-screen TV and pull out the recliner, Mike Locksley.

The only college football you’ll be watching on Saturday, Oct. 24, will be from the couch.

Locksley split the lip of Jonathan “J.B.” Gerald, wide receivers coach, in an altercation on Sept. 20, according to an APD police report. Now the University is going to hit the Lobo head football coach where it hurts — with a swift kick in the pocketbook.

Thirteen days after UNM Human Resources launched an investigation into a Sept. 20 altercation between Locksley and Gerald, Athletics Director Paul Krebs announced that Locksley will be suspended for one game — UNM’s homecoming game against UNLV — after Human Resources determined UNM policies were violated. Locksley will be docked 10 days of pay, which is “in the neighborhood of $29,000,” Krebs said.

Krebs said the money will remain in the Athletics Department’s operating budget.
The suspension includes Oct. 13-16 and Oct. 19-25. Locksley is free to return to work on Oct. 25, but he can’t participate in any team-related activities until then.
George Barlow, assistant head coach and defensive backs coach, will take the helm during Locksley’s suspension.

Barlow said he will try to keep Locksley’s plans in place for the sake of continuity.

“I think we’ll get by,” Barlow said. “What we’re going to do is pretty much man-up and make sure everyone’s handling their responsibilities. We just need to focus on what’s important — and that’s the kids.”

Locksley said he’s learned some harsh lessons during the weeks since the altercation.

“I accept the punishment that the University and Paul (Krebs) has rendered on me with no bitterness,” he said. “I accept the punishment as just for my role in the incident.”

Locksley will be required to attend a conflict resolution class, per another mandate included in Tuesday’s decision. Krebs said he will persuade all coaches of the football program to do the same. He also said UNM’s head football coach should engage in community service, which Locksley said he will do.

What neither Krebs nor Locksley could account for was what exactly happened on the day in question or how Gerald ended up with a split lip.

Both said that no punch was thrown.

“There were no witnesses that verified Gerald’s allegation that Locksley threw a punch,” Krebs said. “Let me be clear about that. No witnesses verified coach Gerald’s allegation that coach Locksley threw a punch. There was an argument. They were separated. How he got bumped on the lip is speculation.”

The only clarification Locksley provided was that there was a scuffle.

“Basically, it was a heated argument,” he said. “There was some grabbing, pushing and shoving. I did not throw a punch.”

In his time away, Locksley said he will reflect on the punishment and what steps he can take to ensure it won’t happen again.

“I wouldn’t call it a vacation,” Locksley said. “Obviously, just finding recently here what the punishment is I haven’t necessarily made plans. I do feel that part of my plans will be to spend some time at a charity dear to my heart, do some community service and spend time with my family.”

Locksley’s original punishment, handed down by Krebs, was a verbal reprimand and a letter in the first-year coach’s personnel file. But the letter was never composed, because Human Resources launched a probe instead, Krebs said.

The Human Resources Department didn’t suggest disciplinary action to Krebs, it merely performed the investigation, Krebs said.

The University Business Policies and Procedure Manual’s Policy 2210, on campus violence, reads: “Violent behavior includes verbal, written, physical, electronic or non verbal threats or other behavior that would constitute a threat of violence or cause a reasonable person to be fearful.”

Per University policy, Krebs said a verbal reprimand wasn’t necessarily enough, and further action was warranted.

“It came to my attention that standard University operating procedures required that HR investigate this type of incident on campus,” Krebs said. “At my request, they conducted an investigation. They interviewed all witnesses involved in the incident. We are part of the University. It’s imperative that we follow University process.”

Now that the process has been completed, Krebs said this type of behavior can’t happen again, and Locksley would be terminated if another physical altercation occurred with any member of his staff.

“This decision is consistent with University discipline, falls within the framework of University guidelines and, I believe, serves as a strong deterrent and sends a strong message to the University community,” Krebs said.

President David Schmidly said in a statement Tuesday that he stands by Krebs’ decision and that it is time for UNM to put the matter to rest.

“I have confidence in the process, which is fair and consistent, and the manner in which it was handled by the Vice President for Athletics,” Schmidly said. “I believe it is now time to move forward for the sake of the football program and especially for the players who have continued to work hard during this difficult time.”

However, the black cloud circling over the football program hasn’t necessarily receded. It’s still unknown whether Gerald will return — and evidence indicates he’s more likely to resign.

Krebs confirmed Sunday that Gerald turned in his University-issued cell phone and keys on Friday. He reiterated Tuesday that the assistant coach is still on paid administrative leave.