Paul Panas, left, cuts student Austin Rees’s hair in his barber shop at the bottom floor of the SUB on Tuesday. Panas sells his salsa in the barber shop for $4 and donates $1 to the UNM general scholarship fund.

SUB barber wants to “Hook You Up” with charitable chile product

The owner of the SUB barbershop is offering a way to get your chile fix and help fellow UNM students at the same time.

Paul Panas, who operates his business in the bottom floor of the SUB, is donating a portion of profits from his homemade, “Hook You Up” salsa to the general scholarship fund. Panas is doing this by donating the money through the UNM Foundation.

“I’m trying to help a little bit and lend a helping hand to someone that maybe only has enough money for one book,” he said. “You know, what goes around comes around.”
Panas said he has been producing the salsa, which is made in Santa Fe and FDA approved, for six years.

For every $4 he receives, he will donate $1 to the
scholarship fund, he said.

UNM Foundation spokeswoman Jill Zach said the Foundation always needs money for student scholarships.

“With the current economy, a lot of people are returning to education, and I think everybody could use help,” she said. “I think it’s really inspiring that Paul has the foresight to really be giving back to those who give to his business. It’s just really nice and more people should think like that.”